Blogdrive Insanity's Valentine Stalker 2004 Project
This project is similar to the Secret Santa tradition at Christmas where a group of people write their names on a scrap of paper, stick it in a hat/bowl/whatever, mix 'em up, draw out a name, and that is the person you become a Secret Santa to. This concept is a little different in the following ways:
1. Ditch Santa and replace with an obsessed, shady figure who lurks in the shadows and leaves anonymous gifts otherwise known as a stalker.
2. Ditch the hat/bowl/whatever - the BDI Staff will assign each Stalker their "stalkee".
This duration of the gift giving will be two weeks. Identities will be revealed at Midnight EST February 13th, 2004.
So how do you join in this insanity? Like this ...
1. Submit your application to become a BDI Valentine Stalker. Be sure you include your name, your correct email and the url of your site or blog. Also include a brief paragraph stating that you understand this is a two week project and you pledge not to withdraw at the last moment or in the middle of the project.
2. You will receive an email back with your Valentine Stalker number.
3. Find a free webpage host (We've provided a list of free web page hosts in the links section.) Be sure that when you register your new page that you include your Valentine Stalker number. Do not register under your real name or blog nickname.
This is where you will display the gifts you are giving to your stalkee.
4. Email us the url of your gift page as soon as possible.
5. Place a link on your blog or website indicating that you are participating in Blogdrive Insanity's Valentine Stalker 2004 Project. You may use a text link, a button link a combination of the two. Examples below:
I'm a BDI Valentine Stalker
I'm a BDI Valentine Stalker
The link must be visible, must be linked back to this page and must remain for the duration of the Valentine Stalker Project.
No HOT LINKING, DEEP LINKING or DIRECT LINKING! Using our url to link a graphic on your page is bandwidth theft. If you do not understand what this means, click here. If you do not know how to put graphics on your blog there is a step by step tutorial here.
There shouldn't be a problem completing steps 1 through 5 on the same day.
6. Create your gift giving page. This will be the page where you will post gifts for your assigned "stalkee". Your page should include the following elements:
1. The gift section
2. A link back to this page
3. A credits section where you will list the resources for your gifts. Example: Gift #1 - Card from hallmark.com, Gift #2 - blinkie made at blinkiesrus.com, etc.
Tagboards and email links are allowed only if you register them under your Stalker identity and do not reveal your real identity in any way. You can also create link buttons for other stalkers to place on their gift-giving pages to become affiliates. However, stalkers must not place a link to their gift-giving page on their blog/site because their stalkee might discover who you are.
Gift-giving pages must be completed (ready for gift giving) no later than Midnight EST January 28th, 2004. Anyone who has not completed their gift page by this date will be removed from the list.
7. When the gift giving begins you will be emailed your stalkee's name and url. This will enable you to go to their site and get acquainted with their likes. Take note of their hobbies, favorite singer, author, is there a particular collectible they adore? These things will help you find and create gifts for them. Do not start posting gifts until you know who your stalkee is.
8. When the gift giving commences refer to the list of linked pages which will be posted on this page. The list will link each participant's site url and their gift url where they can go to "collect" their gifts. Stalker's can use the list to get inspiration if they get stumped. All participants can surf the list and meet new people.
9. The gift giving period will last approximately two weeks. Stalker's will reveal their real identity on their gift-giving pages beginning Midnight EST February 13, 2004.
If you have read this far include the following words in your application: "Password 1" Long Island Tea
DETAILS & FAQ
Why do I have to register for a free site?
The whole point of the project to to keep your identity a secret. You must not host your gift giving page because you don't want your stalkee to know who you are - this is a part of the fun. Also, it doesn't require any editing after the project is over - you can just leave it up and your Valentine can go back at any time.
Why do I need to link you on my blog?
We would like to entice as many people as possible to join us; the more participants, the better. The link will also enable us to determine if you are serious about participating. It's no fun and makes it very difficult when someone drops out. Someone might even be left without a stalker which would be unfair the left out stalkee.
Can I put a link to my gift giving page on my blog?
No. The whole concept is secrecy. Don't put a link on your blog to your gift giving page or tell your friends your stalker Identity. Again, you don't want to do anything that would ruin the surprise.
I'm not a graphics artist and I'm flat broke? Can I still join?
Of course. Real money is not a issue. This is not about money or physical gifts. This is about gifts born from your creativity and a product of your heart. You can create special graphics, blinkies, layouts, send e-cards, wallpaper, special online creations, poems, fun online games etc. You are limited only by your imagination. Just be sure to give credit where credit is due i.e. the website the item came from or the original artist, if known. Also, if the item requires a link back to the originator include that info.
Is it required to send gifts daily?
No, not at all. However we do require that you give a gift at least every other day. This is a minimum of seven gifts.
If some of the stalkers gift pages, have a guestbook you can join in their fun and upload an image into that guestbook or send a happy valentine poem, words etc to that giftee as well.
Please make sure you use your valentine stalker #number and keep your true indentity secret.
Some pages may have a tagboard you can also tag them well wishes but again keep your true identity a secret..
All will be revealed when the pages are revealed..
The guestbook gift giving or tagboard messages are NOT REQUIRED but we thought it would be nice extra from all those who signed up to share with other giftees...
If you have read this far include the following words in your application: "Password 2" Lurking Lunacy
Joining opened! (sign up now)
Joining closed: Midnight EST January 23, 2004
Gift Page Creation Deadline: Midnight EST January 28, 2004
Gift Giving Commences: Midnight EST January 31, 2004
Gift Giving Ends & Identity Revealed: Midnight EST February 13, 2004
If you have any questions please contact Dee or Friday's Child
Special thanks to Jo of Secret Santa 2003 for graciously sharing her experience and formula for secret gift giving. Thanks Jo! ~*~ special hugs from the BDI Gang ~*~